The Great Courtney Caper

Well, the game is up, and I’ve been had.  It’s time we learned the truth about Courtney Messerschmidt, known the world over as the “Great Satan’s Girlfriend”:

But the funny thing is, I don’t even mind.

Who else posts not just one, but two massive news roundups each day on this site?  Who else takes care of my blog when I go on vacation?

For God’s sake, the Great Satan’s Girlfriend website routinely gets hits from the Washington Post; sometimes with two computers logged in at any given time!

It’s official:  Courtney, whoever you are–whatever you are–you are free to post here as often as you like.

(Just be sure to use the “continue reading” option for your massive news roundups, so they don’t take up as much space.  My friends think I never post on my own blog anymore)

About Crispin Burke

Major Crispin Burke is a US Army aviator qualified in the UH-60 and LUH-72 helicopters. Major Burke has served in the 82nd Airborne Division, 10th Mountain Division, and Joint Task Force-Bravo in Honduras. In what is likely a sad statement on the state of humanity, Major Burke's writings, musings, and irreverent cartoons have been featured at Small Wars Journal, National Defense University, Foreign Policy Online, Wired Magazine, Egremont, the New York Times, the Washington Post, and the Great Satan's Girlfriend.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to The Great Courtney Caper

1. Render says:

You and me both brother.

SIGH,
    R

2. Galrahn says:

The GSGF brand is both interesting and uniquely clever. Who the author is in this case probably only matters to those who cared in the first place. I guess if I cared who Courtney Messerschmidt was yesterday, I’d probably feel bad about who Courtney Messerschmidt isn’t today.

But in my experience online as both anonymous and not, the substance always matters as much as style. In the mil-pol online discussion, style gets people to the door, but substance is what keeps people walking through it. GSGF had both often enough to keep the doors open, and still could tomorrow if they so chose.

3. Mark Pyruz says:

So that’s why the hip-speak was used– to mask the multi-writer effort.

That was smart. A couple of years ago I detected four different writers using the same name for an anti-Iran propaganda effort. They had two writers in English and two in Persian, so it had it’s own set of detection challenges. Still, it was relatively easy to identify.

Milbloggers are always encouraged. But now that we know it’s a group effort, I would suggest a different group name– or even better, have the four write their own posts. More posts, more better.

• x wright says:

You don’t even make sense. You tell us how great you are by ‘easily’ detecting persian/english multi-writers, but the ‘hip-speak’ of GSGF was beyond your mighty powers? OMG, Ur aN IdIoT! Or is that too much ‘hip-speak’ for you?

4. Could it be the same man? says:

The mysterious identity of a young Arab lesbian blogger who was apparently kidnapped last week in Syria has been revealed conclusively to be a hoax. The blogs were written not by a gay girl in Damascus, but a middle-aged American man based in Scotland.

Tom MacMaster, a 40-year-old Middle East activist studying for a masters at Edinburgh University, posted an update declaring that, rather than a 35-year-old feminist and lesbian called Amina Abdallah Araf al Omari, he was “the sole author of all posts on this blog”.

5. Jim says:

I don’t even mind = I was PWND, pussy-whipped, and too embarrassed to admit it

6. Pingback: Courtney Messerschmidt Is Just a Beer Commercial « Gunpowder and Lead

7. Pingback: The Plan | Wings Over Iraq